Music and Sound to help us fall asleep
For million of people, sleeplessness is not a once in a blue moon problem. Chronic sleeplessness (Insomnia) plagues a lot of us and according to american academy of sleep medicine, 30% of adults are in the same boat. Sleeplessness has been linked to many health issues such as:
High blood pressure
It also causes diminished attention span and focus as well as cause moodiness.
It can also affect memory and sex drive.
Lack of sleep also wreaks havoc on your skin and if that wasn’t enough can make you gain weight.
Falling asleep while driving is one of the leading cause of traffic fatalities as it impairs judgement and alertness.
What a ugly bouquet of consequence that can result if we do not get enough sleep!
So how can we stop being such restless beings?
Certain sounds are perfect to help us fall asleep
According to The British Academy of Sound Therapy, these sounds help us relax.
- Sound of leaves falling or leaves crunching under foot is soothing and can release Dopamine which is a antidepressant naturally produced by the body. In fact, crunching, popping and hissing sounds help with anxiety, depression and stress.
- Listen to music that gives you goosebumps. Do you have one? That special song or piece that gives you goosebumps because it’s so good and speaks to you in such a deep level? Apparently when music gives you goosebumps, it also produces our favorite friend, dopamine.
- Don’t have that special music that gives you goosebumps? Listen to Marconi Union’s –Weightless. This song was created with a sound therapist to promote deep relaxation and has been scientifically proven to be one of the most relaxing song in the world.
- Sound of fire crackling is known to induce in deep relaxation. Sitting in front of a fireplace or a camp fire would do it.
- Sound of the birds tweeting is also supposed to help us recover from stress.
So where do we go from here?
As a fellow insomniac, I have been playing Weightless, Electra and Chillout Mix as I get to bed and it has helped me verymuch. All 3 songs last about 15 minutes combined and it is enough to get me to sleep usually before the playlist ends.
In fact, I played Weightless during the day and I found myself daydreaming. Definitely would not recommend playing these songs while driving or operating heavy machinery.
Also go for a walk in the woods or in the park. We are naturally attuned to nature and the sound of nature will keep us in that relaxed mindset freeing us from our stress and worries.
To your health,
Latest posts by Kris (see all)
- List of New Generation Hybrid Fidget Spinners and Toys, Some are weird and bizarre! - September 7, 2018
- 44 types of Fidget toys that help with ADHD ADD - September 7, 2018
- 75 Types and styles of EDC Fidget Spinner Toy - August 1, 2018