Superpower of persuasion
What if you had superpowers like Professor Xavier of the X-Men? The ability to read minds and influence people that would be a neat power to have.
According to a well-known author Dr. Robert Cialdini’s book Influence: Power of Persuasion, there are 6 major scientifically proven principles of persuasion that used properly, can help us with harnessing this superpower. The 6 principles are:
- People are obliged to give when you receive. When you do someone a favor, that person is more likely to do you a favor as well. Even a simple favor will raise the possibility of reciprocity.
- People instinctively want more of those things that there are less of. Even a perception of scarcity can have a powerful persuasive ability. People are willing to pay a premium for something that perceive as being scarce.
- People will follow credible knowledgeable experts. Your appearance, education and reputation can affect how people will perceive you. It could be even more powerful if someone else vouches for you and is still effective even when it is obvious the person vouching is viewed as not totally impartial.
- You can persuade someone to act on something bigger by having them commit to something smaller first.
- You are able to better persuade people who like you. Usually, people like people who are similar, those who pay compliments to and those who cooperate with them. If you are trying to persuade someone, you should try to get the person to like you first (something in common, compliments made) before getting to the point of contention.
- People tend to follow the consensus of the group. If you can communicate that a significant portion of the people act a certain way for a good reason, then the odds of persuading the person to act the same way is much higher.
These power of persuasion is being used on us all the time. When you see ads on television or on the web, at its base level, it is appealing to these 6 principles outlined.
Do you want superpowers? Power of persuasion is definitely reality and not fiction.
Click on the awesome video below from Youtube that goes into more detail.
Latest posts by Kris (see all)
- 42 types of Fidget toys that help with ADHD ADD - July 2, 2018
- 74 Types and styles of EDC Fidget Spinner Toy - July 2, 2018
- It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan. -Eleanor Roosevelt - May 5, 2018